These tourist regions go the extra step to welcome your family and dogs. From budget to luxury they are great choices for this summer’s getaway.
DogFriendly.com released its Top 10 dog-friendly resort regions in the United States for 2009. The rankings are determined by the DogFriendly.com staff and take into account the quality of dog-friendly accommodations, things to do with your dog, beaches, parks and dog-friendly patio dining.
1. Carmel / Monterey CA – Many pet-friendly accommodations. Off-leash Carmel City Beach. Many walking and hiking options. Shop and dine in luxury.
2. Bar Harbor/Acadia ME – Pet-friendly Acadia National Park. Shop in the historic downtown. Take a ferry or boat cruise.
3. Black Hills SD – Lots of dog-friendly attractions and campgrounds. Mt Rushmore still worth visiting with a dog. See Badlands National Park.
4. St Augustine FL – See the historic downtown. Lots of dog-friendly shopping and dining. Take a harbor boat cruise and a ghost tour.
5. Cape Cod MA – Visit Cape Cod National Seashore. Many cruises and ferries. Also take in Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard.
6. Key West FL – Quaint B&B’s and outdoor dining. Dog-friendly attractions, boating and stores. See the Southernmost Point Monument.
7. Charlottesville VA – Visit estates of Thomas Jefferson and Patrick Henry. Shop at the downtown mall. Visit dog-friendly Shenandoah Park nearby.
8. Mendocino CA – Stay in a pet-friendly B&B or resort. Walk the seaside town. Go to the beach and dine outdoors.
10. Amarillo TX – Visit the famous Cadillac Ranch. Spend a day or camp at Palo Duro Canyon. Stay at the Big Texan Steak Ranch Motel.
Honorable Mentions – The following five places are also excellent vacation spots to visit with your dog -
- Corpus Christi TX
- Grand Canyon AZ
- Lake Tahoe CA/NV
- Mackinac Island MI
- San Luis Obispo CA