Beneful® Celebrates $500,000 Dream Dog Park Renovation of Buchanan Park Dog Park in Lancaster, Pa.
Local Dog Owner Wins National Contest and Helps Inspire Dream Dog Park for Her Community
Today is a woof-worthy day for four-legged residents in Lancaster, Pa.! Beneful® brand dog food officially announced its third $500,000 Dream Dog Park renovation at a special celebration event in Buchanan Park Dog Park. The half-million dollar transformation of the existing off-leash area, which is expected to be unveiled in early August 2013, will turn the dog park into an ultimate play destination for dogs and their owners to enjoy together.
Jason Cameron, licensed contractor and host of DIY Network’s “Desperate Landscapes,” and national pet expert Arden Moore joined representatives from Beneful and the City of Lancaster to unveil the design for the dog park renovation. Cameron is managing the Dream Dog Park renovation of Buchanan Park Dog Park, with assistance from Moore who will help oversee the project from a dog’s point of view. Also in attendance was local Lancaster resident Angela Bauman, the Grand Prize Winner of the 2012 Beneful Dream Dog Park Contest, and her German Shorthaired Pointer “Beau.” As Grand Prize Winner, Bauman received a $10,000 cash prize that was presented to her at today’s event and a one-year supply of Beneful brand dog food. In addition, Bauman’s playful entry helped inspire the design of the Dream Dog Park renovation.
“The City of Lancaster is thrilled to welcome Beneful into our community and so thankful for this generous $500,000 in-kind donation to create a Dream Dog Park for dog-lovers in our area and beyond,” said City of Lancaster Mayor J. Richard Gray. “The community takes great pride in Buchanan Park Dog Park and this remarkable renovation will be a treasured attraction for Lancaster residents and neighboring communities to enjoy for years to come.”
The renovated dog park, which was inspired by Bauman’s winning Dream Dog Park Contest entry, will be created inside the existing footprint of Buchanan Park Dog Park and feature playful amusement park-themed elements, including water splash pads, tunnels, a tennis ball hill and roller coaster bridge. Dogs of all sizes will be able to enjoy the custom-designed features with their owners.
“At Beneful, we truly believe life is better when we’re playing with our four-legged friends and our mission is to inspire more play every day,” said Brent Gleckler, Beneful Brand Director. “Our Dream Dog Park Contest offers dog owners the opportunity to dream up their ultimate play destination that the entire community can enjoy and we look forward to bringing our third Dream Dog Park to the four- and two-legged residents of Lancaster, thanks to Angela Bauman and her best buddy Beau.”
Bauman received top honors out of hundreds of entries, two rounds of judging including a consumer vote. In round two of the contest, the Beneful Dream Team led by Cameron and Moore judged the twelve finalist entries based on the following criteria: creativity of the idea(s) to inspire more opportunities to play with your dog at your neighborhood dog park (60%); feasibility of bringing the idea to life (20%); and effectively demonstrates how life is better together with your dog (20%). The Dream Team’s judging counted for 80 percent of the total score, and public voting counted for the remaining 20 percent, to determine the Grand Prize Winner.
Beneful has unveiled two $500,000 Dream Dog Park renovations; the first was unveiled in Newtown Park in Johns Creek, Georgia, in June 2011 and second in Alabaster, Ala., in July 2012. To check out these Dream Dog Parks and for more information on the contest, visit BenefulDreamDogPark.com.