Can Dogs Eat Acorns?

As squirrels begin to harvest them for winter, it’s not uncommon for acorns to get scattered about your yard. Some dogs might try to nibble on them, but is it safe to do so?

Are acorns safe for dogs?

No, acorns are not safe for dogs. Not only do they pose a choking hazard, but they also contain tannins which are toxic to dogs. Tannins can quickly cause kidney failure, severe gastrointestinal upset, and even death in extreme cases. Though, the acorns are not the only toxic part of the plant. Oak leaves are the most toxic with the highest concentration of tannins and can cause Quercus poisoning. This can cause vomiting, diarrhea, shock, dehydration, and more.

If you suspect your dog has eaten acorns or oak leaves, call your vet immediately. The best way to prevent Quercus poisoning is by teaching your dog to “drop it”.

Abigail Kurten
Author: Abigail Kurten

Hi! My name's Abigail, and I intern as a Content Writer for DogFriendly.com. I have one dog, a chocolate lab named Riley who's the best! My favorite breed of dog is a Bulldog or Saint Bernard, though.

Leave a Comment