Can Dogs Eat Crab?

Just like humans, dogs need a well-balanced diet, which means feeding them kibble in most cases. But a little bit of human food every once in a while can boost your dog’s health, provided you feed them the right things. Many kinds of meat make excellent treats for your pup. But is crab one of them?

Is crab meat safe for dogs?

Yes, crab meat is safe for most dogs in small amounts. Crab is a lean protein, which makes up the foundation of your dog’s diet. Crab also contains vitamin B12 and zinc. Crab is also a source of omega-3, which is said to support immune health and buidl a healthy coat and skin. Of course, you’ll want to cook the crab and remove the shell before serving.

Some dogs are allergic to crab. The first time you feed your dog crab, you will want to only give a little and monitor for any signs of an allergic reaction. Symptoms include inflammation, gassiness, and diarrhea.

How should crab be served to dogs?

Dogs should never eat raw crab, which can have parasites. A crab’s shell, both cooked and uncooked, is very sharp and can damage your dog’s gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, you’ll want to cook your crab before serving and remove any pieces of shell. Keep it simple, and don’t add lots of fatty oils or seasonings.

How much you should feed your dog depends on their age and weight. Follow your vet’s recommendation. One good rule of thumb is the 90/10 rule, which suggests that 90 percent of your dog’s calories should come from dog food, and the other 10 percent may come from treats.

Crab can make a decadent treat from time to time, but don’t overdo it. Crab should be a specialty, never your go-to protein.

Tyler Kupcho
Author: Tyler Kupcho

Animal lover, proud husky parent. Writing Intern at DogFriendly.com

Leave a Comment