Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Dog Friendly is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.

Table of Contents

Your dog should never eat grapes, which includes raisins (since these are just dried grapes). According to the American Kennel Club, grapes and raisins are notorious for being highly toxic to dogs, though for years it has been unclear which substance contains the toxicity. The American Animal Hospital Association recently shared a breakthrough, however, that the toxic substance may be tartaric acid, which is generally safe for humans to consume. Since no amount has been proven safe, it can generally be assumed that breed, sex, and age of a dog do not influence the risks.

My Dog Ate a Grape! What Should I Do?

If you know that your dog consumed grapes (even if just one), you should contact a veterinarian immediately. Your vet may suggest inducing vomiting, although there’s a chance your dog may throw up the grapes or raisins on its own. If you must induce vomiting, it’s safest to have a veterinarian walk you through the steps. If your vet is unavailable, contact the Pet Poison Helpline, which offers 24/7 assistance.

Signs of Toxic Ingestion

If you’re uncertain whether your pup consumed grapes and raisins or not, it’s possible to observe their behaviors to determine the next steps. Generally, they’ll seem more lethargic and experience a loss of appetite. It’s also possible they’ll experience vomiting and/or diarrhea within a few hours. To ensure the worst, sometimes fatal symptoms, including kidney failure, do not occur, you should contact a veterinarian as soon as you notice something wrong.

Zoë Butler
Author: Zoë Butler

Content Writer for DogFriendly.com.

Zoë Butler
Author: Zoë Butler

Content Writer for DogFriendly.com.

Table of Contents

Related Posts

Depositphotos_152761698_L (1)
Oats
lentils-bhofack2-Depositphotos
cicada PantherMediaSeller Depositphotos
Plantain
Depositphotos_59891061_L (2)
crab
mangos