Can Dogs Eat Mangoes?

Dog Friendly is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.

Table of Contents

Just like humans, dogs need a well-balanced diet, which means feeding them kibble in most cases. But a little bit of human food every once in a while can boost your dog’s health, provided you feed them the right things. Many kinds of fruit make excellent treats for your pup. But is mango one of them?

Are mangoes safe for dogs?

Yes, dogs can eat mangoes! Mangoes are safe and not toxic for dogs. The fruit is also loaded with vitamins that can give your pup a healthy immune boost. Just make sure to avoid those seeds and pit.

Mangoes contain all sorts of nutrients. In fact, just one mango has the recommended daily intake (for humans) of Vitamins C and B6. Mangoes also have vitamins A and E, potassium, and fiber. All those nutrients are great for your pup in small doses, but don’t go overboard. A few pieces are plenty.

How should mangoes be served to dogs?

When giving mango to your dog, it is crucial to peel the mango and remove the pit. While the skin is not toxic, it can be tough for dogs to digest. The pit is both toxic, containing trace amounts of cyanide, and dangerous—dogs can easily choke on a mango pit or get it stuck further along their digestive tract. Serve the mango in small slices or cubes.

You should only give treats in moderation. With any treat, you’ll want to follow the 90/10 rule that states 90 percent of your dog’s calories should come from dog food and the other 10 percent can come from treats. 1-3 slices should be plenty.

Tyler Kupcho
Author: Tyler Kupcho

Animal lover, proud husky parent. Writing Intern at DogFriendly.com

Tyler Kupcho
Author: Tyler Kupcho

Animal lover, proud husky parent. Writing Intern at DogFriendly.com

Table of Contents

Related Posts

Depositphotos_152761698_L (1)
Oats
lentils-bhofack2-Depositphotos
cicada PantherMediaSeller Depositphotos
Plantain
Depositphotos_59891061_L (2)
crab
coconut