Can Dogs Eat Marshmallows?

We’ve all been there: your pup is staring you in the eyes, refusing to take his pill. You’re desperate to camouflage it with some treat, so can that treat be marshmallows? Technically, yes.

Since marshmallows have virtually no nutritional value, the sweet puffs of joy are not recommended, but are safe to eat on rare occasions. The main thing to look out for is if the marshmallows you throw your pup’s way contain xylitol.

What Is Xylitol?

Xylitol is an artificial sugar found in many sugar-free treats, and can be extremely toxic to dogs, even if ingested in small amounts. If you notice your dog has ingested xylitol, we recommend contacting your veterinarian or a poison control hotline immediately.

What About Regular Marshmallows?

Even if the marshmallows you’d like to share with your furry friend do not contain xylitol, most veterinarians agree that you should choose a healthier alternative, as marshmallows can lead to gastrointestinal upset. If you’re looking for a sweet alternative, we’d recommend strawberries, pineapples, or seedless watermelon.

Zoë Butler
Author: Zoë Butler

Content Writer for DogFriendly.com.

Leave a Comment