Mushrooms are our favorite fungus. You might be wondering if you can share the fungi fun with your furry friend. But like with humans, mushrooms are a mixed bag for dogs. Some are toxic, and some are not.
Can dogs eat mushrooms from the store?
Mushroom varieties sold at grocery stores are safe for dogs to eat. Generally, if the mushroom is safe for you to eat, then it’s also safe for your dog. Cooked mushrooms are also okay. You just might want to think about how you prepare it.
If you’re feeding your dog cooked mushrooms, make sure to prepare them lightly. Use only a little cooking oil, as all the salt, garlic, and onions we normally use to cook mushrooms are toxic to dogs.
Can dogs eat mushrooms in the wild?
Foraging wild mushrooms can be a tricky business. Dogs are strong sniffers. Therefore, we might think that dogs can detect the toxins in a wild mushroom. This is not true. Your dog does not know which mushrooms are poisonous.
Wild mushroom poisoning is serious and can be fatal. If your dog has ingested mushrooms that are potentially toxic, contact your vet or animal poison control immediately. Symptoms to watch out for are vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, abdominal pain, lethargy, or seizures in very serious cases.