Can dogs eat oatmeal?

Oatmeal is a convenient and nutritious breakfast for any morning. But can your dog enjoy some oatmeal for the most important meal of the day? 

Is oatmeal safe for dogs?

Yes, dogs can eat most oatmeal. Plain oatmeal is not toxic and full of nutrients and minerals, including vitamin B. Oatmeal is also a great source of fiber, although you can want to be careful not to give your dog too much.

Some oatmeals contain additives that could be harmful to your dog, like artificial sweeteners or chocolate. If you’re going to feed your dog oatmeal, you should make sure that it’s plain oatmeal.

How much oatmeal should I feed my dog?

How much oatmeal you can feed your dog depends on its size and age, among other things. But whenever feeding your dog any sort of treat, you want to follow the 90/10 rule. 90 percent of your dog’s calories should come from regular dog food and the other 10 percent from treats. 

How should I prepare oatmeal for my dog?

Oatmeal for dogs should be prepared with water. Most canines are lactose intolerant. Only puppies need milk, so as your dog ages it might become lactose intolerant. Oatmeal with milk can upset your dog’s stomach and cause problems like diarrhea, so it’s best to stick with water for your pup.

Can dogs eat oatmeal cookies?

While oatmeal is safe for dogs, they should probably skip the oatmeal cookies. Cookies contain sugar, which can be harmful to your dog. And some oatmeal cookies contain chocolate or raisins, both of which are toxic to dogs.

Can dogs eat uncooked oatmeal?

Yes and no. Uncooked oatmeal is not toxic, but it can be hard on your dog’s digestive system. If you’re going to feed your dog uncooked oatmeal, only give them a little bit. But the best way to prepare oatmeal for your pup is cooked with water.

Tyler Kupcho
Author: Tyler Kupcho

Animal lover, proud husky parent. Writing Intern at DogFriendly.com

Leave a Comment