Can Dogs Eat Pumpkins?

Dog Friendly is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.

Table of Contents

Whether it’s a trip to the pumpkin patch or pie at Thanksgiving dinner, nothing says Autumn like pumpkins (well, maybe the leaves—but pumpkin is a close second). You might be wondering if your pup can join in the festivity. But can dogs eat pumpkin?

Is pumpkin safe for dogs?

Yes, pumpkins are safe for dogs to eat. As long as you serve the right kind, pumpkins make a delicious and very healthy treat for your pup. They’re also a fantastic source of fiber and vitamins. 

Pumpkin also has medicinal uses. The American Kennel Club recommends feeding your pet pumpkin if he or she is struggling with diarrhea. TMI: All that fiber helps your dog’s stool to congeal.

How should I serve pumpkin to my dog?

Pumpkins can be given to dogs raw or cooked. You can even feed them canned pumpkin, as long as it is plain, and not pumpkin pie filling. If you’re feeding your dog pumpkin seeds, make sure you cook them first.

How much you’ll want to feed your pup depends on its size and age. Like with any treat, you’ll want to abide by the 90/10 rule: 90 percent of your dog’s calories should come from regular dog food and the other 10 percent from treats. 

Can dogs eat pumpkin seeds?

Yes, your dog can eat the pumpkin seeds, too—just make sure to peel them and serve them cooked. Raw pumpkin seeds are not toxic but tend to spoil quickly, so they’re better to avoid. Pumpkin seeds have a ton of nutritional value, as they’re loaded with minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. So don’t just stop at the pumpkin—feed your pooch those seeds, too.

Can dogs eat pumpkin pie?

Unfortunately, your pup will want to skip the pumpkin pie. Many pumpkin pies contain nutmeg, which is toxic to dogs and can be harmful in large quantities. While there shouldn’t be enough nutmeg to give your dog a severe reaction, it’s best to keep their paws away from the pie. Plus, pumpkin pies are often loaded with milk, cream, and sugar, which are not good for your dog.

Can dogs eat raw pumpkin?

When wondering if your dog can eat raw food, it’s often helpful to think, “Would I eat this raw?” Thankfully, pumpkin is not one of those foods. It is completely safe for your dog to eat raw pumpkin—you’ll just want to take out those seeds first, as they m

Can dogs eat canned pumpkin?

Yes, canned pumpkin is great to feed your dog, as long as you get the plain kind. Canned pumpkin is actually preferred, as it contains more nutrients and fiber than fresh pumpkin. Just make sure it’s plain canned pumpkin and not spiced or pumpkin pie filler. The biggest ingredient to avoid is nutmeg, which is toxic to dogs, but you’ll want to avoid any other sugary or fat additives, too, so that your pup can get the fullest health benefits.

Can dogs eat pumpkin puree?

Dogs can eat pumpkin puree. As long as the puree is 100 percent pumpkin, then it should be no different from canned pumpkin. Just make sure it is unspiced, and definitely does not contain nutmeg.

Can dogs eat pumpkin bread?

Your pup should probably skip the pumpkin bread. While bread is not toxic to dogs, there is little nutritional value in the treat and more than a small amount can be very unhealthy. Pumpkin bread is often richer than regular bread and some even contain a sugar substitute known as xylitol, which can be toxic to dogs even in small amounts. If you want to feed your dog pumpkin, stick to something plain.

Tyler Kupcho
Author: Tyler Kupcho

Animal lover, proud husky parent. Writing Intern at

Tyler Kupcho
Author: Tyler Kupcho

Animal lover, proud husky parent. Writing Intern at

Table of Contents

Related Posts

Depositphotos_152761698_L (1)
cicada PantherMediaSeller Depositphotos
Depositphotos_59891061_L (2)