Can Dogs Eat Tofu?

Dog Friendly is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.

Table of Contents

Just like humans, dogs need a well-balanced diet, which means feeding them kibble in most cases. But a little bit of human food every once in a while can boost your dog’s health, provided you feed them the right things. Is tofu one of them?

Can I feed my dog tofu?

Yes, tofu is safe for dogs. But you probably don’t want to make it a staple of your dog’s diet. While it’s a great alternative for (human) vegetarian diets, your pup’s nutritional needs are quite different from yours. Tofu is rich in vitamins and minerals but is not a good source of protein for dogs. Tofu should never be a substitute for including meat-based protein in your dog’s diet.

Some dogs have allergies to soybeans, which tofu is made of, so if this is your first time feeding your pet tofu, make sure to monitor your pet for any itchiness are inflammation afterward.

How much tofu can I feed my dog?

If you feed your pup tofu, you’ll want to do it sparingly, considering their age and weight. Like with any treat, you’ll want to abide by the 90/10 rule, which suggests that 90 percent of your dog’s calories should come from his or her dog food, and the remaining 10 percent of calories may come from treats.

When preparing tofu for your dog, you’ll want to keep it simple. Don’t serve it in any rich sauces, and go low on the spices, as some can be toxic to your pet. 

In short, tofu is an acceptable snack for your pet—just make sure to only feed your dog treats in moderation. You might also want to check out some more nutritious options, like cashews or carrots.

Tyler Kupcho
Author: Tyler Kupcho

Animal lover, proud husky parent. Writing Intern at DogFriendly.com

Tyler Kupcho
Author: Tyler Kupcho

Animal lover, proud husky parent. Writing Intern at DogFriendly.com

Table of Contents

Related Posts

Depositphotos_152761698_L (1)
Oats
lentils-bhofack2-Depositphotos
cicada PantherMediaSeller Depositphotos
Plantain
Depositphotos_59891061_L (2)
crab
mangos