Can Dogs Eat Whipped Cream? The Rise of the Pup Cup

If your dog is anything like mine, she loves her pup cups. In fact, it’s become our go-to phrase when we need to get her attention. “Treat” just doesn’t cut it anymore—she wants her pup cup. “Pup cup! Pup cup! Does Kyra want a pup cup?” But you might be wondering, is all that whipped cream good for dogs?

Is whipped cream safe for dogs? 

Yes, whipped cream is safe for dogs, with some caveats. While not toxic, most whipped cream is made with cow’s milk, which could potentially upset your dog’s stomach. Dogs are only meant to digest milk when they’re puppies, meaning many dogs become lactose intolerant as they grow up. Additionally, whipped cream has very little protein or nutrients that your dog needs, but it is loaded with fat. Too much can lead to obesity or even pancreatitis, which can be life-threatening. So while whipped cream is safe to feed your dog every once in a while, don’t make it your go-to snack.

How much whipped cream can I give my dog?

How much you should feed your dog depends on its size and age, among other things. But whenever feeding your dog any sort of treat, you want to follow the 90/10 rule. 90 percent of your dog’s calories should come from regular dog food and the other 10 percent from treats. And make sure you balance out the sugary whipped cream goodness with other, lighter snacks. Maybe some carrots or celery?

So no, you don’t have to stop feeding your dog those delicious pup cups, but don’t make it too much of a habit. You might be wondering if yogurt is a better alternative to the whipped cream pup cup, but yogurt can be just as much of a mixed bag.

Tyler Kupcho
Author: Tyler Kupcho

Animal lover, proud husky parent. Writing Intern at DogFriendly.com

Leave a Comment